Learning @ BMCH
Customized tutorial sessions for homeschoolers!
The Montessori Method , developed by Dr. Maria Montessori, is a child-centered educational approach based on scientific observations of children from birth to adulthood. Dr. Montessori’s Method has been time tested, with over 100 years of success in diverse cultures throughout the world.
It is a view of the child as one who is naturally eager for knowledge and capable of initiating learning in a supportive, thoughtfully prepared learning environment. It is an approach that values the human spirit and the development of the whole child—physical, social, emotional and cognitive.
At BMCH, we offer high-quality Montessori tutoring at the Lower Elementary level. (Grades K-3). At the Upper Elementary level (Grades 4-6) we provide dynamic, hands-on, Montessori-inspired tutoring that integrates multiple approaches to teaching and learning.
What the hand does, the mind remembersDr. Maria Montessori
Montessori’s vision of cosmic education was a holistic and purposeful presentation of the entirety of the universe to the elementary child. An elementary child is not only driven to seek knowledge, but to understand how the world and human society works, their place in the world, and understand how to affect change in the world. The Cosmic Curriculum weaves together history, science, art, music, language, and math to present to the child a whole vision of the world, and thus a vision of themselves. It emphasizes the entirety of the univers and builds an awareness of interdependence of all things in the universe.
It is, simply put, education to hope.
Montessori elementary education will instill in children a sense of gratitude – to the natural and physical world, to people who have come before, and to their contemporaries. This gratitude, which springs from contemplating the wonders of the universe and how man has shaped it through time, leads naturally to a sense of hope in the child. Through the Cosmic Curriculum, the child develops a strong love for their surroundings and for the natural world, and develops a joy and enthusiasm in work. This enthusiasm and love leads to hope for the future, and a realization that they can shape the future and find a role as peacemakers and change-makers in society. Their pages in history haven’t been written yet, but we can’t wait to see what Montessori children will do!
Strands of Cosmic Curriculum at BMCH
(Covered in a three-year cycle)
History: Cosmic Education
Geography: Cosmic Education
Science: Cosmic Education
Language Arts: Awareness, Communication, Expression
- Reading instruction: Orton-Gillingham-aligned Montessori reading instruction for beginning and emergent readers
- Literature Analysis and Socratic Discussion
- Montessori Hands-On Grammar: parts of speech, sentence structure, word study, vocabulary enrichment, and writing mechanics
- Writing: integrated into the Cosmic Curriculum with specific lessons on narrative, informational, biographical, and opinion writing and poetry
- Additional curriculum guidance for writing, handwriting, and spelling upon parent request to meet individual instructional objectives
Mathematics: Understanding Numbers in Life
- Hands-On Montessori Math: Numerical operations, the decimal system, fractions, time and money, data and probability, geometry, measurement, introduction to pre-algebra
- Optional critical thinking enrichment using Beast Academy: problem solving, number sense, pre-algebra, and critical thinking for all students
Why do we recommend additional enrichment with Beast Academy? The creators of Beast Academy (Art of Problem Solving) say: “The math in Beast Academy is a backdrop for teaching students how to solve problems.” Our experience at BMCH has shown us that enrichment with Beast Academy deepens problem solving skills in all areas of education and life.
- Individualized tutoring in reading to meet your child where they are academically
- Individualized and group tutoring in grammar and writing through the Montessori language arts materials
- Small group literature study focused on critical thinking skills and literary analyses
- Individualized tutoring using concrete Montessori materials to supplement the chosen homeschool math curriculum.
- Individual and group mathematics enrichment through problem solving, critical thinking and advanced mathematical and scientific puzzles
Project-based and experimental science following the Montessori Cosmic Curriculum. For the 2022-2023 school year, the curriculum will focus on Chemistry, Biogeochemistry, Comparative Zoology and Taxonomy. The project-based learning following the scientific method allows students to make cross-curricular connections and explore the wonders of the world.
- Project-based history, geography, and cultural studies using the Montessori Cosmic Curriculum. For the 2022-2023 school year, the curriculum will focus on cultural/historical/geographic studies of Africa and Australia.